ME_Post_Page_Header.webp
  • Medicare Experience

Medicare Part B Deductible 2020 (Video)

Get quick facts on the new amount and how this applies to your Medicare coverage.
Senior couple viewing costs.

What Is the Part B Deductible and How Does It Work?


Learn about the Medicare Part B Deductible in our helpful and straight to the point "Quick Facts" video, which you can watch here:



Understanding the Part B Deductible for 2020

For 2020, the Part B deductible amount is $198.00. This amount has increased $13.00 from the 2019 amount, which was $185.00.

Once you have paid this amount for services that are covered by Medicare Part B, your Part B coverage will begin paying 80% of the costs for those covered services going forward that year.

In other words, once you pay $198.00 in out-of-pocket expenses for Part B services, Medicare will begin covering 80% of any costs for Part B services while you pay the remaining 20%.


Important 2020 Change to Part B Deductible Coverage Options

Starting in 2020, Medicare enrollees no longer have the option to purchase Medigap plans that cover the cost of the Part B deductible.


Senior couple reviewing changes.

This comes as the result of Congress passing the Medicare Access and Chip Reauthorization Act (MACRA).


Learn more about this change and how it impacts the coverage options of future Medicare enrollees: Changes to Your Medigap Options.



What Does Medicare Part B Cover?


When you sign up for Medicare Part B, you receive coverage for both medically necessary services and preventive services.


This includes some of the more expensive services you might experience during a hospital stay, such as surgery, radiation, diagnostic imaging, chemotherapy, and dialysis, among others.


Part B covers preventive medical services like ambulance rides, doctor visits, screenings, and diagnostic tests. It also covers a number of preventive care measures such as flu shots, colonoscopies, and mammograms.


Medically Necessary Services:


Medically necessary services and supplies are those used for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions.


These services and supplies must meet the accepted standards of medical practice. This includes the use of medical equipment like wheelchairs, hospital beds, and oxygen equipment.



Preventive Services:


Preventive services are those that prevent illness or detect it early enough for optimal treatment.


This includes diagnostic tests like MRIs, EKGs, CT scans, and X-rays. It also applies to covered screenings such as pap tests, HIV screening, glaucoma tests, hearing tests, diabetes screening, and colorectal cancer screenings.


If your healthcare provider accepts assignment, you often don’t have to pay anything for these preventive services.



How to Tell If Part B Covers What You Need:


1. Consult with your doctor or health care provider to find out if Medicare covers your needed services or supplies.


In some cases, you may require something that is typically covered by Medicare but your provider isn’t sure if coverage will extend in your specific situation.


If this happens, you can sign a notice that says you may be required to pay for the test, item, or service.


2. You can also always search your Medicare coverage by test, item, or service at this Medicare.gov page: https://www.medicare.gov/coverage


Remember: Your Medicare coverage will be based on federal and state laws, national coverage decisions by Medicare, and local coverage decisions made by Medicare claims processors in each state.




Up Next: Part B Comprehensive Guide 2020

Featured Articles:
Open Enrollment: