ME_Post_Page_Header.webp
  • Medicare Experience

Does Medicare Cover Emergency Room Visits?

Learn what costs are associated with your ER trip, stay, and services.

Does Medicare Cover Emergency Room Visits?

Typically, yes, Medicare covers emergency room visits in the case of injury, sudden illness, or an illness that suddenly gets much worse.


For each emergency room visit you will pay a copayment amount. There is also a copayment for each hospital service.


In addition, you will pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for your doctor’s services (while Medicare covers the other 80%). Keep in mind that the Part B deductible applies in this scenario.

Note, however, that if you are admitted to the same hospital within 3 days of your emergency room visit, you won’t have to pay the copay, as it will then be considered part of your inpatient stay.


Medicare costs for emergency room visits


Does Medicare Cover Emergency Room Visits Abroad?

Generally, no, only in rare circumstances does Medicare cover emergency services in foreign countries.



Does Medicare Coverage Include Urgent Care Visits?

Yes, Medicare covers urgent care visits. Your Medicare Part B coverage will cover urgently needed care to treat sudden illness or injury that is not a medical emergency.


Urgent care visit for senior woman.

For your urgent care visit, you will pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for your doctor or healthcare provider services. The Part B deductible applies in this case too.

Note: If you are in a hospital outpatient setting, you will also have to pay a copayment to the hospital.



What Does Medicare Part B Cover?


When you sign up for Medicare Part B, you receive coverage for both medically necessary services and preventive services.


This includes some of the more expensive services you might experience during a hospital stay, procedures like surgery, radiation, diagnostic imaging, chemotherapy, dialysis, among others.


Part B covers preventive medical services like ambulance rides, doctor visits, screenings, and diagnostic tests. It also covers a number of preventive care measures such as flu shots, colonoscopies, and mammograms.


The two parts of Medicare Part B Coverage.


Medically Necessary Services:


Medically necessary services and supplies are those used for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions.


These services and supplies must meet the accepted standards of medical practice. This includes the use of medical equipment like wheelchairs, hospital beds, and oxygen equipment.



Preventive Services:


Preventive services are those that prevent illness or detect it early enough for optimal treatment.


This includes diagnostic tests like MRIs, EKGs, CT scans, and X-rays. It also applies to covered screenings such as pap tests, HIV screening, glaucoma tests, hearing tests, diabetes screening, and colorectal cancer screenings.


If your healthcare provider accepts assignment, you often don’t have to pay anything for these preventive services.




Up Next: What Does Medicare Cover?




Helpful Resources:

Medicare: Emergency Department Services

Medicare: Urgently Needed Care

Featured Articles:
Open Enrollment: